Day 1 : Arrive Pemba – road transfer to Mucojo, dhow transfer to Mogundula Island
You will be met at the airport and shown to your transfer vehicle for the three-hour drive to Mucojo. Arrive to Mucojo and transfer via dhow to Mogundula Island.
Mogundula Island is one of the best islands in the archipelago and offers a fantastic base for exploration. Known by the locals as “the island with the sacred lake,” it provides beautiful bird watching, pristine swimming off the sandbank beach, and excellent snorkeling. Your mobile camp will be set under the shade of trees, and chances are good that you’ll have this magical, uninhabited island to yourself!
Overnight in camp and explore Mogundula Island and surrounds.
Day 2: Pangane Peninsula
Spend the day exploring the Pangane Peninsula by dhow or traveling to Macaloe Island from camp.
Day 3: Start of dhow safari – Mogundula Island to Ulumbwa
Depart Mogundula for your adventure into the Quirimbas Archipelago! Sail into the clearest of blue water, and snorkel to explore the underwater seascape of pristine coral.
Rural fishing villages dot the shore along the mouth of the Ulumbwa River.
Camp in the open Mozambique bush, south of Ulumbwa.
Day 4: Day trip to Matemo Island
Turquoise clear waters and beautiful scenery await you en route, but first, enjoy an early morning sail up the Ulumbwa Estuary to view a variety of birds and mangroves that thrive in the area. In the afternoon, take a tour through a local fishing village and meet local fisher folk with your guide.
Later in the day, stop on the southern tip of Matemo Island to explore. After a full day of adventure, return to camp at Ulumbwa.
Days 5-7: Ulumbwa region to Ibo Island
The Ibo Island guided experience provides a chance to interact with amazingly friendly local people, and observe their unique island culture and heritage and a way of life that has not changed for hundreds of years. Wander around mysterious ruins among forts and ancient trade buildings with many fascinating stories just waiting to be told.
Ibo Island Lodge has spectacular views over the waterfront and accommodates guests in beautifully simple yet elegant rooms. Historic colonial mansions with high ceilings have been stylishly renovated to accommodate the lodge with various verandas, tropical gardens, and a spectacular rooftop restaurant that provides the ideal venue to watch the sunset. The emphasis at Ibo Island Lodge is on complete relaxation, and it provides a base to explore this fascinating island.
Day 8: Ibo Island to Pemba for flight out
Enjoy a beautiful light aircraft flight over the islands and turquoise waters as you transfer from Ibo Island Lodge to Pemba International Airport for your departure.
- Itinerary as specified (NB itinerary may differ from as published).
- Meet and greet in Pemba and road transfer to Mucoja (or Arimba if northbound).
- 4 nights island and mainland hopping by dhow. Overnight island, river, and beach camps.
- Experienced English and Portuguese speaking crew.
- NON participation mobile camp.
- All camping and catering equipment included for island camps (sleeping bag, pillow, and towel supplied).
- Meals as stated in the itinerary.
- Occasionally breakfast and lunch may be combined into a brunch where necessary e.g. mornings with early kayak trips.
- 3 nights at Ibo Island Lodge on full board basis (excluding all drinks).
- Guided tours of Ibo Island.
- National Park fees and Ibo Island development taxes.
- Light aircraft transfer from Ibo Island back to Pemba.
- All international airfares and related taxes/fees.
- All meals that are not specified.
- All drinks, personal bar account, bottled water, etc.
- Mozambique arrival / departure airport taxes.
- Items of a personal nature such as telephone calls, curio purchases, etc.
- Optional activities / excursions / transfers not specified.
- Vaccinations, visas, passports, travel and medical insurance.